Thursday, January 24, 2013

Women "not strong enough for combat?"

OK, full disclosure, I consider myself a feminist. I believe in all women's rights, equality, etc. So, needless to say, I was ecstatic with yesterday's news about women now being allowed in combat for our military.

You can imagine my dismay when I hear politicians like Rep. Tom Cotton from Arkansas (R) say he doesn't believe women are physically capable of combat duty. "It's nature, upper body strength and physical movements and speed and endurance..." Really?



You mean to tell me Jessie Hilgenberg doesn't have the upper body strength or endurance or speed for combat? From my experience, some men enter the military as fairly scrawny men, but come out looking like they've been lifting weights for years. Why are women not capable of the same?

Beeteedubs, Mr. Cotton, Israel has had women on their front lines for YEARS. Israel is one of the most feared militaries in the world. What of it?

Our military does not need to lower its standards to accommodate women. Let women rise to the standards currently set for men. Let women get there and show you what we're actually capable of.

Thanks to ALL those who serve--men AND women.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment