Thursday, January 17, 2013

Starting off with a cautionary tale

M here. Writing to you about why I was unable to workout yesterday and probably tonight.

I attended a new class at my gym on Monday, a class I didn't know much about. It turned out to be a great fast-paced strength class with a focus on each major muscle group. A muscle group I tend to neglect is my shoulders--they're just not an area I feel a need to dedicate a lot of attention to.

MY BIG MISTAKE

I followed all of the instructor's movements and used the same weight she did, same reps and felt good about it afterward. However, I woke up the next day and had a pain between my neck and right shoulder. If I move a certain way, it's a very sharp pain. Now I have to miss two workouts because I can't lift my right arm very high and I don't want to injure myself further.

I have a massage scheduled to work out whatever is pulled or knotted or whatever. Wish me luck.

Lesson learned: go at a pace you can handle, don't feel you have to keep up with those in better shape than you until you know your body's limits. Don't get me wrong, you need to push beyond your limits in order to progress, but don't push to the point of injury.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment