Tuesday, January 22, 2013

M's daily tip

I have a wicked sweet tooth. But sugar is an addiction and I'm currently trying to break it. Four years ago, there was a point when I would try to eat a mini Reese's cup and my stomach would get upset because of the amount of sugar in it. I'm in the middle of my sugar detox, as I call it, and it's rough. It's more like quitting cold turkey than a detox. I'm having major chocolate cravings (thanks to Mother PMS), but I'm resisting like a champ. If I want to enjoy my wedding cake in June, I have to sacrifice a few things now otherwise it'll just be another piece of cake! I have to keep telling myself: it's all a matter of will and determination. In order to get to the point where sugar isn't a craving, I have to stop eating it.

My tip: If you drink soda, stop. If you drink sweetened coffee or tea drinks, stop. Coffee and tea can taste great without adding caramel syrups, whipped creams, chocolate shavings and packets of sugar. If you have a bag of candy at your desk, throw it out. If you love to bake, like me, find tasty alternative recipes (vegan recipes tend to be good options for clean eaters, I'll post some soon!). Throw away anything and everything in your pantry that can tempt you with its sweet goodness. I promise the phase of cravings doesn't last long and afterward, you won't even miss it.

Here is a good article and video on sugar and why you crave it: http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/09/how-to-break-sugar-addiction.html.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment